Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Why random nice days during wintertime are great

Recently, it occurred to me that I could kill two birds with one stone, with a certain topic for a blog post.

If I wrote about why winter running is great, I could not only put some content up, but I might also end up convincing myself, thus saving me the half-hour it usually takes to psych me up.

But to be perfectly honest, inspiration was a little lacking. It also didn't help that my best recent run came on the warmest recent day.

So instead of appreciating the cold weather on its own merits, I'll have to settle for appreciating how the cold weather makes me appreciate milder temperatures ... as unimpressed as I am with myself for being so cliche here.

Seriously, though, while I wasn't frustrated at how slow last week's runs went, I was a little sad.

I did succumb once to "if I can barely do three miles, what right do I even have to think about thinking about doing a whole marathon?" though fortunately that thought dissipated once I got to the top of whatever hill I was climbing.

It's one thing to tell yourself that you're struggling because it's windy and below freezing; it's a whole lot more convincing when you log 5.25 miles at a 9:25 pace on a day when it's at least 10 degrees warmer.

With my 5K training plan kicking off next week, I needed to see that kind of result when I'm still in base-training mode — proof that there is something to build off. Especially as winter doesn't show any inclination to ease up.

No comments:

Post a Comment