Tuesday, March 3, 2015

You know you're an outdoor runner when ...

Yesterday I compared my work schedule and the weather forecast with my training plan, and decided that I'd better get a workout in, even though I'd done two consecutive days of (short and fairly easy) running.

It was 30 degrees when I prepared to head out. That meant I put on my slightly thicker long-sleeved T-shirt but opted for the now-infamous purple scarf because it's thinner than my fleecy headbands.

I stepped outside at the same time as one of my neighbors, who smiled at me and said: "I can't even think about running this time of year."

I gave my usual two-pronged mild self-deprecation: that I can't handle a treadmill and that I can't handle starting out warm and getting warmer.

But I did so standing still, in a single layer of clothing, and felt OK — chilly, but not freezing. And I knew, once I started moving, that it would truly feel good outside.

I must really be an outdoor runner.

2 comments:

  1. Your back! Must have been hibernating or just not paying any attention to your comings and goings. Good to see that you are back sharing your thoughts and escapades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, *I* was the one hibernating ... well, I was running, but just not blogging ... I am glad to see you didn't give up on me!

    ReplyDelete